Frequently Asked Questions About Membership at Seattle Yacht Club
A. To become a Member, a Candidate must be sponsored by one SYC voting member and recommended by three SYC voting members. Your sponsor will need to check out an Application Packet from the Membership Director or online. Additionally, Application Packets can be mailed to a sponsoring member. You have 90 days from the date of issue in which to complete the Application Packet. All completed applications will be reviewed by the Membership Committee and approved by the Board of Trustees. Processing time takes 30-60 days once the completed application has been received.
A. If you are active in boating and get involved in the local boating activities, you will most likely meet someone who is a member of SYC and they can introduce you to others - simply start asking around. Social Media, such as Facebook or LinkedIn, can help provide connections based on employers, professional associations and others within your network. Follow our pages and join the conversations.
A. For initiation fees and membership dues, please contact the SYC Membership Director.
A. No - the fee is non-refundable and non-transferable. Seattle Yacht Club membership is a non-equity membership.
A. Yes - after your membership has been approved by the Board of Trustees, you will receive a letter from the Club Secretary indicating the Board's decision. Enclosed with the letter is a "Final Application". This is to be returned with the initiation fee. Upon the candidate's request, a payment plan is available in which 20% of the entry fee is paid as a down payment and the remaining 80% is financed for up to 5 years at 0% interest.
A. As of February 1, 2014 SYC established Joint Membership, which allows for both people in a marriage to be equal members. The membership classification for purposes of determining the initiation fees and dues of the Joint Membership couple shall be determined as follows: For couples joining the Club after the Effective Date, initiation fees and dues shall be based on the age of the eldest member of the couple. A candidate may also elect to join as an Individual Member.
A. An active interest in boating in the Northwest. Boat ownership is strongly recommended for applicants over age 36. Membership will not be approved if applying for business reasons. For more specific questions, please contact the SYC Membership Director.
A. Use of the Club's restaurants, bar, meeting rooms, banquet facilities, guest moorage at the Club, permanent moorage subject to availability (contact the SYC Moorage Administrator for information on slip availability and rates), reciprocal privileges to other major yacht clubs around the world, Elliott Bay clubhouse facilities and moorage (subject to availability), and use of our ten outstations:
- Cortes Bay – Desolation Sound, B.C.
- Eagle Harbor – Bainbridge Island
- Elliott Bay – Seattle
- Friday Harbor – San Juan Islands
- Ganges Harbor – Saltspring Island, Gulf Islands, B.C.
- Garden Bay – Pender Harbor, B.C.
- Gig Harbor – South Puget Sound
- Henry Island – Roche Harbor, San Juan Islands
- Ovens Island – Dunsmuir Islands, Gulf Islands, B.C.
- Port Madison – Bainbridge Island
A. You can join, but will pay dues in the Active Member classification for five years before you can apply to the Membership Committee for a transfer to the Out of State membership category.
A. Seattle Yacht Club strongly supports our younger members who have made an active commitment to boating in the Northwest. To this end, the Club offers reduced initiation fees for applicants under 24 years of age who have engaged in SYC junior sailing or Washington State Boater Education programs.
If your question hasn't been addressed above, please contact the SYC Membership Director.
Last updated; Wednesday, August 24, 2016